Squaw Creek shall be called a new name
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Daniel Ashe early last month apparently made the decision to rename Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge to — for now — Eagle Flats National Wildlife Refuge.
The name change was revealed during an invitation-only meeting held in mid-December. Director Ashe made the decision to remove the word “Squaw” because of its derogatory and offensive nature to Native Americans.
“Eagle Flats,” as of now, is only an interim name of the refuge.
During the meeting, a number of people voiced their displeasure with the change. Some suggested the name “Loess Mounds National Wildlife Refuge” be submitted to the director for consideration as the permanent name. The official change will be made this month.
Squaw Creek was established in 1935 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The refuge includes more than 7,400 acres of wetlands, grasslands and forests.