Saturday a.m. fire destroys Salem home
Firefighters in and around Falls City had a busy week, responding to three separate house fires, beginning in the early morning hours of Tuesday, Dec. 1, at the Hiland Avenue home of John and Alison Roland.
The two-story house, located in the 2600 block of Hiland, caught fire as the couple slept, though they awoke to the smell of smoke and exited the residence to safety. The call was made at 4:30 a.m. and 15 members of the FC Volunteer Fire Dept., driving three fire trucks, and six members of the FC Rural Fire Dept., were on the scene for more than five hours.
The home, which was being remodeled, suffered severe water damage.
Another fire in the middle of the night – just after 3 a.m. Saturday, to be exact, claimed the two-story Salem home owned by Jody and Marlene Schuetz and rented by the Clayton Hardenberger family.
No injuries were reported, though about a dozen members of the Salem and FC Rural departments fought the blaze, which was determined to be a result of faulty wiring, into the early afternoon hours Sunday.
Members of the FC Police Dept. and Volunteer Fire Dept. responded to a Friday night fire call at 3423 McLean St. residence of Trisha Butler, though were only on the scene for a matter of minutes. A remote control car, plugged into a wall-charger, caught fire and melted. Police were able to douse the flames with a fire extinguisher before much damage was sustained inside the home. No injuries were reported.